12/11/2011

Longhorn Steakhouse - Filet Mignon

Longhorn Steakhouse
 The city of Youngstown has plenty of restaurants to choose from with many good steak houses. Longhorn Steakhouse in Boardman, Ohio was our selection for dinner tonight. We were seated quickly and our waitress came over to take our drink orders. A few minutes later she took our dinner orders

Salad
Our salads were delivered to our table. The salad was standard fare. It was fresh, had adequate lettuce and tomatoes, crunchy croutons, and several assorted other greens. The good thing about the salad was that it was fresh. That goes a long way.

Longhorn Rolls
The rolls were delivered at the same time as the salads. The rolls were warm, fresh, and appeared to be home made. They tasted very good as the butter melted right into the dough.

Loaded Potato Soup
One of my favorite types of soup is potato soup. Longhorns version of potato soup had of course chunks of potatoes in a creamy sauce. A sprinkling of bacon bits, shredded cheese, and some chives. The soup was very good, not the best, but very good.

Filet Mignon
Of course, when you are in a steakhouse, you order the steak. I selected the Filet Mignon and loaded baked potato. I asked for medium well done and to butterfly the steak. In less than 15 minutes, my filet was delivered to our table. It was cooked perfectly. BTW, this is the 9 ounce filet, and it was juicy and tender and bursting with flavor. There was not one iota of fat on this steak. It ranks up in the top 5% of filets.

The baked potato was well cooked. I hate when the potato is only halfway cooked and hard in the center. This one was hot and flavorful, with plenty of butter, melted cheese, and enough bacon covering the top to compliment the entire taste of the potato.

Strawberry Cheesecake
Feeling saucy, I went for dessert. I was full from all the food but the cheese cake looked intriguing. I ordered a slice. I wanted cherry cheese cake but alas, they did not have that on the menu. The closest they could get was strawberry sauce. The dessert capped off an almost perfect dinner. The cost of the dinner was right around $30 dollars not including tip but including dessert.

Also a plus was that Longhorn offers Coke Zero. I see more and more restaurants are offering this most excellent diet soft drink. Zero calories but all the Coca-Cola taste.

The Grassy Knoll Diner scores 4.5 out of 5 shots and recommends Longhorn Steakhouse for dinner.


LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL

7 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds like a perfect meal, and for acceptable price. I agree, potato soup is one of my favs too. Potatoes in general are ingenious vegetable, you can make so much of them. The steak looks tasty, alas I don't really red meat anymore so I'd have to pass :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not a perfect score, from your description it was pretty damn good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was an almost perfect meal. Except for the 8000 calories I consumed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, I asked myself when I was scoring this meal. It takes a lot to stick a perfect score. Perhaps the French judge downgraded it a bit just because. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you just don't eat for another 4 days and you are okay ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Either they are buying different cuts of steaks where you are from or you have no idea how a filet is suppose to taste like. I just went to the one by my house in Allentown PA. It had to be one of the worst filets I have ever eaten in my life. It was cooked perfectly the way I wanted. It just did not taste like a filet at all.  I'd have to go as far as saying it wasn't a filet. Maybe it was a new york strip disguised as a filet in its shape. The service was okay though. Not going here again. I pay that much for a filet. I want a damn filet not a tender sirloin or ny strip. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had many filets in my life from perhaps 100 different restaurants so I do know a good filet from a bad one. As I critique the chain restaurants, I found that sometimes the food is prepared differently, not just steaks, but chicken, pasta, even pizza. An example is Wedgewood Pizza in my town. The original store in Austintown has the best tasting pizza, but the new store in Boardman has good pizza, but it is not up to par with the original store. 

    Perhaps you did have a bad filet, or perhaps your restaurant selects different grades of beef. 

    Either way, this is why I put these posts out, to help inform the consumer about the restaurant experience.

    ReplyDelete

Entertain Me With Your Wealth Of Worthless Knowledge