11/06/2007

Credit Card Gift Card

A Grassy Knoll Institute Holiday Shopping Tip

Thanksgiving is no longer a holiday to remember the Pilgrims sitting down with the Indians for a meal. It is now the kickoff day for the holiday shopping season feeding frenzy. Shoppers will flock in droves to the stores for those early bargains, deep discounted items, and door buster one-day only specials. But buyers beware. There is a new gift out there this year. The CREDIT CARD Gift Card. Yes, this gift just recently surfaced the past several years but is deemed to be one the most popular gifts given this holiday season. And the retailers love it.

Lets say you decide to get a $100.00 gift card for the family member on your list that is tough to buy for. After Christmas, said family member happily embarks to the local mall to buy, say, a pair of shoes. He pays $85.40 including tax. He then buys a pack of sports socks, his favorite team for $13.49 including tax. He has spent $98.89 and is happy that he got what he wanted. And, the credit card company is happy for said family member now has $1.11 left on his account and it is very difficult to purchase anything at the mall for that amount.

The credit card company will keep that balance available for approximately 6 months and then clear the account reaping in that $1.11 as profit. Multiply this amount by several million cards and it turns out to be a pretty sweet business venture.

I found this out last winter while shopping. My son had one of those gift cards good at any store in the Southern park Mall in Youngstown, Ohio. He used a good portion of it up and wanted to buy a calendar with the remaining balance. The clerk was unable to see the balance on the card and tried to complete the transaction. The computer beeped back that there wasn't enough on the card. My son tried a lower number and would pay the difference in cash.

He had to try 5 times before the computer would accept the amount entered. And still, my son didn't know how much was left on the card. Now wait a minute for everyone that is going to tell me that there is a website you can visit and enter the card number to see the balance, but when you are already at the mall, its a tough call.

So, what have we learned at the Grassy Knoll Institute today? When giving a monetary gift for Christmas, make it cash, not the gift credit card.


LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL

4 comments:

  1. george senda2/24/2008 4:32 PM

    I don't know about elsewhere, but I returned something at Macy's and they gave me a gift card instead of cash. When I got it down to $6 or so I asked if you could add money to it and they told me you could.

    I keep going back to the bedding/housewares dept in Sun Valley Mall because there are 2 cute, young, busty salesclerks there. I never see them two times in a row when I come back in.

    It MUST be some kind of conpiracy....

    As an aside, if anyone knows a blogging expert in the Concord Ca area that I could talk to on the phone or live, I would appreciate hearing about it. I read how to do stuff on my blog, but even after reading it, I still don't understand how to do it...

    I LOVE this site. Funny, clever, great girl photos and it makes you think.

    falkie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Typically, you can use this small remainder towards the purchase of a larger ticket item. It would just deduct the small amount left on the card from the total leaving you to pay the rest with another method.

    Though they do make a chunk of money from people who don't wish to be bothered with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These gift cards were an excellent choice for my family of readers. I simplified my Christmas shopping and provided my children with access to the books they really wanted.

    ReplyDelete

Entertain Me With Your Wealth Of Worthless Knowledge