10/31/2023

White Oak Cemetery Gatlinburg

I have been travelling to Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the past 40 years or so. Every time I return, the area transforms itself into a more elaborate tourist area. (See, I did not use the word Trap.) 

Little did I know that in all this time roaming the streets packed with superb restaurants, thrill rides, including steel roller coasters, escape rooms, and countless stores to shop in, I stumbled upon Gatlinburg's  White Oaks Haunted Cemetery, located in the heart of Gatlinburg. Mind you, it is not easily seen. In fact it is tucked away up on a hill with no signage directing you to it. However, I found it. 

Right off the Gatlinburg Parkway I potted the entrance to the ancient cemetery. As a point of order, I will divulge the location of this haunted cemetery. (Yes, I said haunted)

Simply walk to the entrance of "The Village." Inside the village, there are a multitude of shops including clothing, pictures, novelties, candy, and believe it or not, a cemetery. 

Walk under the entrance and proceed inward. Wind your way through the brick laden floor. Continue to always move right on the road until you reach the restrooms. It will take about 5 minutes. At this point you will have climbed to a point you can gaze down upon the Village.

Turn to your right and you will see a driveway. At times the drive will be closed with a no entry sign attached. Pay no attention to the sign. (Or the man behind the curtain)

Walk slowly up the slight incline. There are just some mild twists in the road but nothing bad. In a matter or a minute, perhaps two minutes, you will see the White Oaks Cemetery sign. You have arrived.



Welcome to the White Oak Flats Cemetery.

As you can see, it is a large area with many a tomb stones adorning the grave sites. I cannot believe that in all the years travelling around the country and visiting Gatlinburg at least close to 100 times, I never wondered into this area. I mean Hell, this has been here since 1839. (Not me, the cemetery.)

Anyway, I wondered around in broad daylight looking at the names on the grave stones. I stayed for almost two hours. It did start to get dark, and Lord knows you do not want to be in a cemetery after dark. Ask me sometime, I will tell you story or two, perhaps three times inside a cemetery after dark. 




Some believe Leroy Jethro Gibbs, lead agent from the hit show NCIS, retired two years ago and stayed in Alaska, set in his ways to fish and hunt. Perhaps this is a relative of Mark Harmon. (Perhaps not) 


This is the path up the hill from the Village to the entrance of the Cemetery. Time had passed and I was ready to make my way back down to the strip and find myself a good steak dinner. Perhaps at the Peddler Steak House, the best Filet steak in the city would be my choice. And it was. 

But that is another time. Another story.

Happy Halloween


LURKING, IN THE SHADOWS, ON THE GRASSY KNOLL


2 comments:

  1. A cemetery in an attraction city. Very odd ehh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very odd. But, back in the day, before the expansion in Gatlinburg, the cemetery had plenty of room. Now, not so much.

      Delete

Entertain Me With Your Wealth Of Worthless Knowledge