5/01/2012

Marinos Italian Cafe - Austintown, Ohio

I have heard about a quaint little restaurant called Marino's located in Austintown, Ohio. During Lent, we decided to stop in and try it. On a Friday night we were a little stunned that it was not busy. In fact, there were only about 4 tables being used by customers.

Anyway, we were seated right away and I ordered the fish dinner and a fried cheese appetizer. In about five minutes the cheese was brought to our table. There were five small pieces and a small bowl of dipping sauce. The sauce was OK, standard fare. The cheese sticks the same way. Standard, nothing bad, nothing good, just average.


The rolls were good though. I suspect they were home-made, they were warm, fresh, and tasted good, especially with melted butter.

The salad was standard fare. Excuse me for the late snapshot of the salad. I ate more than half when I realized I forgot to snap the picture.


About 20 minutes went by and our fish dinners arrived. I ordered Mac and Cheese as a side dish. As you can see, the fish was thin, and skinny. The breading was adequate but a little soggy. It had a "Fishy" smell to it which to me means it was not as fresh as it could be. The taste was OK. Certainly not what I had expected as several people told me about the place. The Mac and Cheese was cold.




All this for a Friday special of $12 dollars plus coke and tip.

The Grassy Knoll Institute scores 2.25 out of 5 shots and does not recommend Marino's Italian Cafe for dinner.


LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL

7 comments:

  1. I'm expecting Billy Joel to sing a song about an Italian Cafe right about now. But wow, that is one ugly motha fracker of a piece of fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was expecting better. But that is why I critique the restaurants, sometimes what you expect is not what you receive, sometimes for the good, and sometimes for the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats what I had for dinner last night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to disagree with you there. I've been to the restaurant and loved it. I was served on time and the food was great. I ordered the "Veal Saltimbocca" which was excellent, the meat was tender and the ingredients tasted perfect. I don't know how long ago that you were there and how many times that you've visited but the restaurant is a nice little place. It has been in business for over 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited during Lent this year, 2012. I had heard great things about the restaurant but that evening, the place did not even come close to expectations. I am glad you had a great meal and experience and perhaps it was our waitress that was having an "Off" night, but I call them as I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was probably an off night. It is a great little Italian place and the food has much more flavor to it than the competing Italian restaurants in the area. There was a mother's day buffet and I brought my family from out of town and they couldn't believe that it was buffet food that they were eating. Trust me, the veal is probably the best you'll ever have.

    ReplyDelete

Entertain Me With Your Wealth Of Worthless Knowledge