1/04/2012

Old Mill Restaurant - Gatlinburg

Old Mill Restaurant
I have been going to Gatlinburg for over 20 years and finally stopped for dinner at the Old Mill. I had heard good things about the Mill, good food, good service, fair prices.

Being November, of course this was a 20-30 minute for a table, but no problem, the air that evening was warm and the Christmas lights were on. The wait wasn't as long as expected and we were seated in less than 20 minutes. Rolls, butter, and an assortment of breads were brought right out along with menu's. So far so good.

Old Mill Soup And Salad
I ordered one of the popular house entree dinners, Southern fried chicken. Soup, house salad, mashed potatoes and corn came with the meal. I asked the waitress if I could have macaroni and cheese (Which was a side order on the menu) but she flatly said that no substitutions were permitted with the dinners. I politely pointed out that it was on the menu as a side but she again said no substitutions were permitted.

No big deal. Odd, but no big deal. My soup and salad were delivered to my table in minutes. Not bad service and not a bad salad either. The soup, chicken noodle, was bland, edible at best.

Southern Fried Chicken
As you can see, the fried chicken was golden brown and the pieces were average sized. And it tasted OK. The batter was crispy and the chicken juicy, as expected. The potatoes were all right but the corn was horrendous. (Now I understand why there were no substitutions, they were pushing the corn.)

The cost was just under $20 without tip.

The Grassy Knoll Institute awards 2.5 out of 5 shots as the food was average, nothing special, and points deducted for not being able to substitute a side dish and with that does not recommend the Old Mill for lunch or dinner.


LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL


Responses to “Old Mill Restaurant – Gatlinburg”


  1. Gumby said

    Serious, that doesn’t sound good to me. The chicken looks dry and old. From the looks, I would rate below a 2.

  2. Uni-Verse said

    The proverbial shit on a shingle dinner.

  3. Lolo said

    the mill is something my family and i go to eat at everysingle time we come to gatlinburg. Ya’ll don’t know what u r talking about.

    • LOTGK said

      Lolo.
      I call them as I see them. Perhaps the waitress was having a bad night or whatever but, the fact is that she was border line rude and I really never heard that you couldn’t substitute one of the side dishes from your main course.

    • Deeroddy said

      We eat at the old mill everytime we are in the area. Always great service and great food. We love it !!!!!

2 comments:

  1. sounds like you were just mad they would not let you change your order. i have eaten here twice and it was the best. i orded the turkey and dressing. it was the best. the corn chowder was great. my daughter got the country fried steak i believe. she loved what she got. everybody in our group did. would go back anytime. highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  2.  No, I wasn't mad. in fact, I was quite nice when asking. I always am. Perhaps my waitress was just mad. Either way, the Old Mill gets a fail.

    ReplyDelete

Entertain Me With Your Wealth Of Worthless Knowledge