10/10/2007

Christmas Memories Of The 1960'S

Way back in the early 1960's, I guess I was around 5 years old at the time, I remember my older brother Jack having an argument with my mother about being bad. Being that it was Christmas time, my mother played the Santa Claus card. She saw that I was watching and listening to the argument and decided to kill two birds with one stone.Mom stopped Jack in mid sentence and said that Santa Claus was listening and he wouldn't like this conversation. After all mom said, he knows when you are bad or good so be good for goodness sakes.

My older brother Jack took a step back, paused a moment, formulated his reply, and then let er rip. He told mom that he was bad last year and Santa still bought presents for him.

That was it. Mom pulled the final trump card with the all to frightening, "Wait till your father gets home" ending the argument with Jack running for cover and with me trying to quietly slink away as to not be wrongly associated with what just happened.

That evening, Jack took all the heat as dad lowered the boom on him. I went unscathed from the episode lucking out.

Several weeks later, Christmas was here and my brother Jack was correct. He had plenty of presents under the tree. Exactly the same amount as me. Hmmnnn. Jack was on to something here. I wanted in on it. Of course Jack wanted something in return. A favor perhaps, money, chores. But that is another story......


LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL

3 comments:

  1. Hard to believe Christmas is already around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7 days to be exact. Oh, and 11 years later.

      Delete
    2. 13 years later if anyone is counting....

      Delete

Entertain Me With Your Wealth Of Worthless Knowledge