9/20/2009

Belleria Italian Restaurant – Pizza

Belleria Signage
Continuing our tour of restaurants in the Youngstown, Ohio vicinity, we landed at Belleria's Italian Restaurant. I have heard they had good pizza and of course good Italian cuisine. We pulled in and at first thought the place was closed until we saw the neon sign glowing "OPEN"
Belleria Sampler Platter
Belleria Sampler Platter
The hostess was very pleasant and seated us at a table right away. It was not crowded at all, but there were patrons there eating. She took our drink orders and when she returned, we ordered the appetizer platter.

As you can see, everything was battered and deep fried. The platter consisted of onion rings, chicken wings, and chicken tenders plus a collection of sauces for dipping. All were cooked well and tasted good. So far so good.
Belleria Pizza
Belleria Pizza
My main course was a cheese pizza. I know, plenty of other choices but I was rather fancying a slice of pizza at that time. I made sure to make the waitress aware that I did not want green peppers on my pizza.

In about 20 minutes, after the waitress cleared our table of our appetizer, my pizza arrived. Pretty impressive isn't it? Well, as I was cutting a slice, I noticed small green peppers scattered on the pizza. WTF!!! I distinctively ordered the pizza sans the peppers. Knowing that it would take 20-25 minutes to cook another pizza the way I ordered, I decided to buck up and endure. I delicately (As best one can with a knife and fork) picked the peppers off from each slice and pressed on. I only had several slices for the taste of the green peppers was embedded in the god damn pizza.

How did it taste you ask? It sucked! Plain and simple.
ravioli dinner belleria
Ravioli Dinner
Ahh, but here's the conundrum. My darling wife Patty ordered the ravioli and meatballs. Patty states that her meal was not terrible, and it did not suck, but was rather good. The meatballs were average, the ravioli's were good, and the sauce above average. This throws a curve ball into my ranking for Belleria and if I would recommend them or not.

So I fall back on my ranking format.
How was the service? Since my order was incorrect, I would have to say terrible.
How was the food? Again, with my order being incorrect and the pizza tasting like peppers, it was terrible.
How was the presentation? It was nice, adequate, plenty of room at the table, extra napkins, a pizza knife, plates.
How was the price? The appetizer and pizza and coke was around $15 dollars. Not to steep, not to low.

The Grassy Knoll Diner scores 2 out of 5 shots and DOES NOT recommends Belleria Italian Restaurant for dinner.



LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL

2 comments:

  1. I'd have to disagree. I'm from Y-town, now living in Central OH, and stop at Belleria pretty much every time I come up that-a-way.
    (I typically eat at the Youngstown Poland Rd. place)
    I haven't found pizza that compares anywhere...the half ravioli and half cavatelli plate is fantastic, although I usually have to ask for extra sauce....I"ve never had the fried fish there, but have had the broiled fish several times and it's always been great !!! Service has always been good.
    Belleria is hands down my fav home town restaurant....especially for Italian food....Elmton is pretty good too, if you want more "Hunky" food.
    Peace out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown, you may certainly disagree on the critique of these meals presented on the Grassy Knoll Institute. That is why they are here. My take was poor service. The order was incorrect. However, the restaurant is located nicely, the people were very nice and inviting, and the price was adequate.

      If you ever had a bad experience at a restaurant, you may have agreed with me.

      Delete

Entertain Me With Your Wealth Of Worthless Knowledge