9/24/2004

The Elevator

Another sound was just heard overhead. Could it be that they have returned? Maybe it was just a stray Tom cat or mangy dog scrounging for food. At that point, it was very difficult to determine reality from illusion. Maybe I should just come out of hiding and get it all over with. That's what they want anyway. To find me. To Kill Me.They have been hunting me ever since they obliterated the earth and enslaved the population. It was inevitable that one day they would find me. It has been 41 days since I have ventured above ground and soaked in the warm rays of the sun. Instead, I have chosen to survive, if you call it that, living in a burned out basement of a long since abandoned building. In a flash, a loud piercing bell sounded.

It was an elevator bell. Unaware, I was somehow teleported and was now standing inside a moving elevator. Trapped like the proverbial rat. Oh my god, they have finally found me. Panic and anxiety set in. "Excuse me sir," the elevator operator inquired, "You did say the 13th floor didn't you?" I panicked. I pushed the operator out of the door, formulating my escape route, knowing that for at least today, this moment, they would not get their prize, their feast, their trophy. I chanted over and over as I ran from the complex, "I will survive one more day."

"What's his problem?", the operator said to the bystanders. One of the others spoke up and said, "You know those traveling salesmen and how high strung they can be making cold calls."





LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL

1 comment:

  1. Its been 15 years and not one comment about why the 13th floor?
    Submitted for your approval......

    ReplyDelete

Entertain Me With Your Wealth Of Worthless Knowledge