11/28/2011

Metro Grill - Cheeseburger And Fries


Crowne plaza metro grill cheeseburger
Metro Grille - Chicago

I was in town during the Transworld Halloween show was in Chicago and made my hotel reservation with the Crowne Plaza. The Plaza is just a five minute walk to the convention center where the show is housed. Winning! Being in a suburb of Chicago and without a car, the dining experience was limited. The first night I opted for the hotel restaurant, the Metro Grille.
The restaurant was not crowded when we walked in. I recall perhaps ten people dining. Perhaps this wasn’t a wise choice. The hostess seated right away and brought us some water. A few minutes later our waitress took our order.
metro grill cheeseburger
Cheeseburger And Fries
I went with a safe bet, a bacon cheeseburger and fries and a diet Coke. Like Indiana Jones, I choose wisely.
In about ten minutes my order was delivered to our table.
As you can see, it was a bacon cheeseburger. Upon further inspection, I noticed the bacon was not cooked completely. It was still fatty and greasy. I could overlook that if the rest of the burger was alright. A quick glance to my left to survey the french fries, which were well cooked and standard tasting, but seriously, if you can count the fries on your plate, the portion is small.
To the burger itself. The bun was fresh, lightly buttered and toasted. The beef was well cooked, well done as I specified. It was juicy with good flavor and the cheese melted added that extra touch. It wasn’t a big burger, certainly no half pounder, perhaps a little larger than a quarter pound, but no more. Nothing special, nothing terrible, just a typical burger.
The cost of this feast was $15 dollars without tip. Let’s see, uncooked bacon for a topping, a scant amount of french fries, a less than average size burger, for $15 dollars. It should have been set at around $10 dollars, no more.
The Grassy Knoll Diner scores 2.25 out of 5 shots and only recommends Metro Grille Chicago for dinner for it’s convenience and proximity to my hotel. If you have a car, take the ride to plenty more options.

LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL

4 comments:

  1. Vandaamonium11/29/2011 1:51 AM

    Myself, I would never have ordered a $15.00 cheeseburger. In situations like that I always go for a grilled cheese and fries, as this is more than enough to fill my little belly.  It's hard to screw up a grilled cheese.  But, that's just me.  I do like your reviews.  I doubt that I will find myself in the places you review but you never know.  When I'm out of town, I'll hit a grocery store and pick up a loaf of bread, some cheese and cold cuts, a squeeze bottle of miracle whip and I'm good to go,but that is more for convenience than anything else.  Good blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, that is just not up to par. Unfortunately, that's how most of the restaurant burgers look like in Sweden :s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vandy, I have also critiqued home made sandwiches and soups. But yes, you are correct, sometimes a nice cold turkey and cheese on fresh bread is a perfect meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a shame. Perhaps if I ever get to Sweden I will sample other cuisine.

    ReplyDelete

Entertain Me With Your Wealth Of Worthless Knowledge