11/02/2011

Hungry Howie's - Calzone

Hurry - Its Dying
A new fast food delivery restaurant opened up in Youngstown recently. It looked like a typical pizza joint place, and being the blue plate special king, decided to try them out.

I used the flyer that was in my mailbox and called in my take out order. I ordered the above item, which by the menu is a sausage and cheese calzone.

Pickup was painless, the order was ready, and it was correct. When I got home, I unwrapped my dinner and found this. A big blob of soggy dough, cheese, sauce, and what appeared to be rabbit turds.

The taste was, well, terrible. A soggy mess of ingredients congealing wrapped up in a box. I cannot confirm if it was sausage or rabbit turds. Or cheese for that matter. However, the sauce was plain tomato paste, no spice whatsoever.

The Grassy Knoll Diner awards 1.25 shots out of 5 and does not recommend Hungry Howie's for lunch or dinner.


LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL

4 comments:

  1. Hungry Howie's isn't that bad. I'm not a food connoisseur by any means but as a rule of thumb I always give an establishment at least 3 tries before I can give it a fair judgement...and given that it was a brand new location I would recommend trying them again, and exploring other items on the menu — plus, no place ever makes a "good" sausage and cheese anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justin, you are correct, I did visit several ore times, the second time they lost my order, had to wait another 30 minutes for them to make it, the third time, they gave me not at all what I ordered.

      Delete
  2. ...Can't really judge a pizza place by its calzone. The flavored-crust pies are what sets the place apart, and IMHO their offerings are way more balanced, flavor-wise than most chains; greasy as hell, but the sauce doesn't kill everything by being too sweet, and their cheese is decent quality, ditto the veggie toppings. My local one even has green olives... tough to find. Think pizza hut, only better, for close to little caesar's in $$.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pizza Hut is middle of the road, and Howie's ain't even close to that.

      Delete

Entertain Me With Your Wealth Of Worthless Knowledge