8/08/2008

Jays Restaurant - Fairfax, Virginia - Chicken Perhaps


Ain't No Body In The Joint
Spending the evening in Fairfax, Virginia, is not that exciting. Being tired from the day's travel, I opted for the Best Western hotel house restaurant, Jay's Place. As you can see, there were plenty Of Seats Still Available. In fact, all the seats were available. I was the only customer. My spider sense let me down on this choice.
Chicken Strips Appetizer
After I sat down, I looked around to see if the joint was even opened. It was deserted. No hostess, no waiter, no cook, bus buy, no one. Just as I was about to get up, the waiter came out and welcomed me to Jay's. He presented me the menu and asked what I wanted to drink.

Several minutes later, he returned with my Coke and asked if I was ready to order. I ordered the chicken wedges as an appetizer and stuffed chicken as my main course with mashed potatoes.

So far, so good. I noticed that there was still no one in the restaurant. The waiter went into the kitchen and I believe he was also the cook for the evening. In about 10 minutes, he returned with my chicken wedges and a refill of Coke. (He was the cook, I could smell the kitchen grease on him)
Mystery Dish - I Think It Was Chicken
And then the main course came out. WTF was this? It certainly didn't look like stuffed chicken breast to me. And why was there cheese sauce covering the chicken? I asked if perhaps he had brought me the wrong dish. But how could he, I was the only patron in the place.

He explained that it was Jay's way of making stuffed chicken breast. I asked where was the breast for all I see are chicken parts and pieces. He said the breast was chopped up and mixed in with the stuffing. (And the fucking cheese sauce)

Some things don't go together. One example is cranberries and cold milk. Jay's stuffed chicken breast ingredients is another. From what I could make of it, there were chicken parts, cheese sauce, broccoli, stuffing, some type of brown chips, (Could have been bacon) and gravy. Broccoli and mashed potatoes were on the side.

I told the waiter, server, cook, cashier, whatever, that this was unacceptable and that it was not stuffed chicken breast and snapped this photo as I spoke to him. I told him I was dissatisfied with the meal and said I would pay only for the Coke and the chicken wedges I had ordered.

The waiter said he would make me anything else on the menu on the house. I declined and promptly paid for the portion of my bill and did leave a 15% tip. I usually leave much more for good service and good food, but this was substandard.

The Grassy Knoll Diner scores 0 out of 5 shots and does not recommend Jay's Place in Fairfax, Virginia for dinner.


LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL


Responses to “Jays Restaurant Fairfax, Virginia”


  1. Bitzky said

    Hmm… In Europe we would have slapped an Italian or French name on it and make it a new trend!

  2. Augusto said

    Hotel restaurant’s expectations are very low to begin with but I have a strong inclination to avoid unknown restaurants with no patrons if there is anything else at all available.
    Otherwise, I’m sure it was perfectly fine, bless their hearts.

  3. Ulla said

    ok let’s not go there for lunch jeeps. let’s go to one of those places with the yummy BIG food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertain Me With Your Wealth Of Worthless Knowledge