3/17/2008

Irish Comedian Hal Roach Passing

Hal Roach, Ireland's finest comedian, spins some yarns about the people of Ireland and how we walk and talk and conduct business. enjoy.

This Irish fella Murphy walked into a Macy's store and asked the sales clerk to show him the cheapest suit in the store.
The sales clerk replied, "You're wearing it."

Did you hear about the Kerry man who was disqualified at the annual tug of war contest?
He was pushing!

When reading the Irish obituaries, sometimes you have to read very carefully as certain words have different meanings.
Example:
To my husband Shamus O’ Shawnessey, May he rest in peace, Until we meet again!

Sometimes when the Irish talk amongst themselves, we answer a question first, and then we ask it. Examples:
You won't be having a drink with me will ya Paddy?
You're not going out are you?
Have you not gone home yet?
(As he sees me at the bar)

I was traveling in County Mayo late one evening and stopped outside a little boarding house. I knocked on the door and a second later the top floor window opened and a woman yelled down, "What do you want so late in the evening?" I asked, "Could I stay here for the evening?" The woman yelled down to me, "YES!" and then closed the window.

Addendum:
Sadly, Hal Roach, Ireland's international comedian, passed away this morning, February 28th, 2012. Mr. Roach was 84 years old.
May he have been in Heaven an hour before the devil knew he was dead.

I'm sure the first question he asked St. Peter at the pearly gates was, "Is that yourself?"


Happy St. Patrick's Day!


LURKING, ERIN GOES BRALESS ON THE GRASSY KNOLL

16 comments:

  1. Hal Roach was a genius.

    Sadly his son did not have his business acumen and sold thestudio lot to a car dealer.

    There were commemorative plaques placed on the site including one for Laurel & Hardy given by the tv show This Is Your Life.

    I wonder if they are still there. Future generations may not even know there was a Hal Roach studio in Culver City.

    ( would you email me ? I have a major problem with my blog & can't figure out how to fix it. thanks )

    ReplyDelete
  2. George, you are thinking of a different Hal Roach. The Hal Roach I am speaking of was a comedian in Ireland. Not the comedian and producer in Hollywood of Spanky and the gang fame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa Meehan12/28/2008 5:46 PM

    We have The Best of Hal Roach (Act 1) - VHS; Hal Roach the King of Irish Comedy 2 DVD Set); and It's Himself! Hal Roach - VHS. Are there any other VHS or DVDs available of Hal Roach? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy McDermott6/27/2009 8:35 AM

    I remember when I was young, I wanted to see him for my birthday (March)at the Westbury Music fair in New york, America.
    I was amazed by how many people where wearing Ireland shirts.
    My favorite joke out of any was this one.

    Casey was very fond of the drop and one night as he rolled home, he met Fr.O'Brian. The priest said,"What makes you drink so much?" Casey said "Nothing makes me, I'm a volunteer."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Hal Roach is one of my favorite comedians. Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hal Roach the Irish comedian's audio tapes were among the favourites of coach drivers when taking us old folk on holiday to Scotland or Ireland.They were usually recorded in Drury's Hotel, Dublin. The whole coach used to be rocking with laughter. He will always be my favourite comedian.

    ReplyDelete
  7. he was the best.he made tyou cry with laughter.is it possible for me to download any of his records to my computer fingers crossed you might know

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hal Roach is a very funny comedian. I have several of his recordings. I'm sure his CD's are available at fine retail establishments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi i'm Shane Roche - Irish Musician-Songwriter.

    I am secret the son of Hal Roach (Irish Comedian) but ssshh.. he doesn't want anyone to know that.. sorry dad.

    Follow me on http://www.twitter.com/shaneroche

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is that yourself?
    If you didn't want anyone to know you shouldn't have went around and spammed it on thousands of blogs and your own twitter account.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sadly Hal passed away this morning. No doubt he'll have St Peter in stiches at the pearly gates! God bless you Hal for all the laughs over many years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for letting us know of his passing. He will always be remembered of help making a light during my darkest days. I will always have his books and tapes to remind my of how great he will always be.
    I know the next time I see him will be in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry, Signed Cindy McDermott

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, sad day, Mr. Roach was a great man, made many entire generations of people laugh, especially those lucky enough to see his show at Jury's Hotel in Dublin.

    ReplyDelete

Entertain Me With Your Wealth Of Worthless Knowledge