11/17/2007

The Catholic Spelling Bee

The Setting: A typical Catholic grade school spelling bee tournament.
40 Children lined up against the lockers shoulder to shoulder in firing squad fashion. (With these nuns, you never wanted to give them that opportunity)
One nun sat at her desk holding a list of words while another nun patrolled the firing squad line making sure no student talked or attempted to cheat.
The nun at the desk would call out the next student in line: "David, spell the word 'Television'."
David speaks: "Television, T-E-L-E-V-I-S-I-O-N, television."
Nun at desk: "Correct David. Patrick, you are next. Spell the word "Antidisestablishmentarianism."
And that is how many spelling bee's I participated in went.

Except one. Every year, one student, a girl, named Maryellen, (A well known nun ass kisser) won the spelling Bee each year. The "Bee" was simply a formality as most students didn't even want to be in the police line up, (Bee line up) and it appeared that Maryellen got all the easy words to spell. If she would had graciously accepted the certificate without gloating, I wouldn't be writing this update. But she needed to be stopped.

Maryellen was rumored to prep for the spelling bee all year long and she would be hard to beat. I would need to be at the top of my game. I decided to actually study and rise to the occasion. I would defeat Maryellen and make her mad as hell. (Yea, that was my plan)

Next year's spelling bee came around and instead of getting purposely eliminated in round one, I actually tried for once. I got past round one, then round two, and finally it was just Maryellen and me. After several more tense rounds for Maryellen, she missed and went down. (Hey dirty minds, this was a Catholic school here) I was now the champion. I looked over at Maryellen and gave her a big "YEA!!" My mission was complete, and I proudly took my seat.

The next day sister Charlotte told me since I won the class spelling bee, I would be competing against the other class champions. And that winner would represent the school and compete in the district championship, and then to the state spelling bee. This sounded like a whole lot of work to me. All I wanted to do was smite Maryellen, (Which I did) and what do I get? I get nuns looking out for me, making sure I'm feeling OK and acting like they were now my personal body guards. I was in bizarro world.

I told sister Charlotte I didn't want to compete anymore. I just wanted to win my class. I told her to let Maryellen go instead. DENIED!!! She wouldn't have it.

After a week of being denied recess and instead having the nuns tutor me in spelling, I was ready for the school spelling bee. All 8 grades worth.....

After losing a week of recess, and knowing if I won this round, I would be practicing more and more with the nuns, I took action..... to save my soul and my sanity.

The day of the school Bee had come. All eight of us lined up in the church, from grade one through eight. We had a great turnout as the entire school was present to watch and listen to us spell words. (In reality, the students had no choice, we were more like inmates than students) When it was my turn, the nun gave me my word. I simply said I didn't know and then proceeded to sit down. I had taken about three steps when the nun stopped me.

She said for me to take a guess at the spelling of the word. I said no, I didn't know. The nun got angry and told me that I wasn't trying. I nodded and confirmed that she was correct for once. I wasn't trying, nor did I want to try. I had explained this to her a week earlier but sister Charlotte had selective hearing. So there we were....

The nun in charge gave me a disgusted glare, took a deep breath, and with a stern voice, commanded me to get back in line and spell the word given. So I simply said, "Apostle, (Which was the word, it was a Catholic school mind you) L-U-K-E, Apostle." The audience started laughing which infuriated the nuns.

The nun, following procedure to the letter, told me it was incorrect and then told me to sit down. I left the firing squad, err, police line up, err, spelling bee line and found a seat in the audience to cheers and clapping. No standing ovation as the nuns warned all of us that no one was to stand except for the eight kids in the contest. A dagger flying stare by the nuns silenced the crowd immediately.

Sometimes, the best laid plans for smiting goes terribly wrong. But what the hell, I kicked her ass in the bee and it was over now. Until I got home from school and my mother was waiting at the door. Yes, the son-of-a-bitch nuns had decided to make a call home to my mom to tell her how well I did at the spelling bee....

Can you spell spanking......


LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL

4 comments:

  1. Previously Posted Comments:

    Gumby - Posted 7/28/2007
    That bitch, she had it coming. Maryellen too.

    Mayday - Posted 7/29/2007
    The Nuns were correct on this call. You won, you were suposed to compete with the other winners. You decided to say no. Who the hell does that?

    LOTGK - Posted 7/29/2007
    Mayday, you wouldn't happen to be Maryellen would you?
    But to answer your question.... STFU!
    No seriously, I explained to the nuns I didn't want to participate, they weren't going for it. I decided to teach them a lesson.

    Anon - Posted 7/30/2007
    Did Maryellen ever win the school spelling bee?

    LOTGK - Posted 7/30/2007
    No Anon, just the class one. Every year but one, the year I tempted fate and actually studied for a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, for what it's worth, congratulations on an ingenious finale. I really enjoyed the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jesse, and thanks for commenting and reading.

    ReplyDelete


  4. LOTGK said
    November
    27, 2007 at 7:34 pm
    Previously Posted Comments:

    Gumby – Posted 7/28/2007That bitch, she had it coming. Maryellen too.

    Mayday – Posted 7/29/2007The Nuns were correct on this call. You won, you
    were suposed to compete with the other winners. You decided to say no. Who the
    hell does that?

    LOTGK – Posted 7/29/2007Mayday, you wouldn’t happen to be Maryellen would
    you?But to answer your question…. STFU!No seriously, I explained to the
    nuns I didn’t want to participate, they weren’t going for it. I decided to teach
    them a lesson.

    Anon – Posted 7/30/2007Did Maryellen ever win the school spelling
    bee?

    LOTGK – Posted 7/30/2007No Anon, just the class one. Every year but one,
    the year I tempted fate and actually studied for a couple of weeks.

    Reply



    Jesse said
    January
    23, 2008 at 11:28 am
    Well, for what it’s worth, congratulations on an ingenious finale. I really
    enjoyed the laugh.

    Reply



    LOTGK
    saidJanuary
    23, 2008 at 11:41 am
    Thank you Jesse, and thanks for commenting and reading.

    ReplyDelete

Entertain Me With Your Wealth Of Worthless Knowledge